- Bacteria are unsuitable for expression of some eukaryotic proteins, because:
- a) They lack a nuclear membrane
- b) They have a single chromosome
- c) They don’t perform all post-translational modifications
- d) They produce unsuitably stable proteins
- To successfully express a protein from a eukaryotic expression vector, the following is
- a) Selectable marker
- b) Ribosome binding site
- c) Strong eukaryotic promoter
- d) Termination sign
- The introduction of a recombinant DNA molecule into an organism (prokaryote or eukaryote) is called ————-?
- Why would a lab technician choose a bacterial artificial chromosome for cloning a gene, rather than a plasmid?
- Because the DNA insert is from genomic DNA and not plasmid DNA
- Because the insert to be cloned is very large.
- Because bacterial DNA will be used to make many copies of the gene (i.e., clone it).
- Because the gene insert will eventually be used to transform cells, meaning incorporate the gene into genomic DNA.
- Which statement is false regarding DNA libraries?
- A library is made using several different endonucleases.
- Each DNA fragment is cloned into a different bacterial cell.
- DNA sequences from the library are separated by base pair length before cloning into bacteria.
- The same gene can be present in fragments of different base pair length.
- A library is the sum of all sequences in genomic DNA.
- Which one of the following techniques is commonly used to quantify the level of mRNA in a sample tissue?
- Real time RT-PCR
- Western blot
- Far Western Blot
- Southern Blot
- RNAi is used for one of the following purposes.
- a) To disrupt a DNA
- b) To clone a particular gene
- c) To verify the function of a gene
- d) To produce a new gene
- In recent studies, a direct correlation was found between too much sitting and the development of various health conditions, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some types of cancer. As the leading scientist in a related project, you must design a series of experiments that allows you to identify the gene(s) that play a role in the development of cancer. In your design provide an outline of the appropriate techniques and methods used for:
1) DNA library construction
2) Gene expression analysis
3) Target validation/functional characterization
4) Protein expression, including your choice of protein expression system