Creating an effective strategic management plan relies heavily on analysis of both your existing company and factors in the business environment that impact decision making. This is an essential part of the business process because it allows management to keep informed on changes and the information gathered is used to set goals and determine the future for the company. This assignment will require you to analyze the internal and external environment of your company and then use the information you’ve gathered to set strategic goals for the business.
For the assignment this week, write a paper that’s at least two pages in length and completes the following:
- Create a SWOT analysis for you company that is specific and explains choices thoroughly. Avoid being generic with your choices. Relate them directly to the industry and business that you’ve chosen. A minimum of four points should be present under each heading.
- The internal portion of the SWOT could include quality of human capital, product lines, employee relations, and current internal business processes. Outside research is recommended.
- The external portion of the SWOT could consider sociocultural factors, competitors, technology trends, suppliers’ potential legal issues, and even changes in the economy. Again, outside research is recommended.
- Based off of the information that you’ve gathered, create three strategic goals for your chosen company.
The strategic goals that you create here will set the stage for all of the course project assignments ahead. It’s extremely important to choose long-term goals that fit with where you think the company should be headed and make use of the information you’ve gathered. Feel free to reach out to your instructor for guidance about creating the strategic goals, since they’re essential to the ongoing course project.
Market Analysis- this needs to be a seperate paper
The material this week reiterated what a market analysis is and how it can be used by companies. Market analysis is essential for a business looking to make decisions about their industry and potential customers. This assignment will be the creation of a miniature market analysis for your course project company. It’s important that your choices reflect the strategic goals set in your previous course project assignment. None of these assignments are created in a vacuum. All decisions should be related as this is really one large strategic management plan document. Look back in the course material and at your past assignment if you need to remind yourself. By the deadline this week, you’ll need to write a market analysis for your company that’s at least two pages in length and completes the following:
- Industry Description Create a general industry description. If your business operates in multiple industries then choose the one you’d like to focus on.
- Is the industry shrinking or growing and how much money is spent in that industry annually?
- What stage is your company’s product at in the product life cycle? Explain your answer.
- What are three possible target markets for your business in this industry and what reasons did you have for choosing each?
- Target Market Choose one target market from the three you identified in the industry description and define it.
- What are the basics characteristics of your target market?
- What features and benefits is this target market looking for from your business? Explain your answers.
- Is this target market a niche or more of a main topic for companies in your industry? Explain your answers.
- Competitive Analysis Identify the most successful business that you’ll be competing against.
- What are two strengths and weakness of your competitor?
- Who is the target market that they pursue and what do you see to support this opinion?
- How is your strategy and target market the same or different than theirs? Defend your choices.
- Regulations Research at least one legal trend or specific law that will impact the way you do business in this industry. It can be something that already exists or something that may be coming in the near future. Discuss the law and why/how it impacts the way that you do business.