Create your personal code of ethics. Research and find your professional code of ethics (link in MyCourses: Center for the Study of ethics in the Professions). You will analyze your professional code of ethics, and compare it to your personal code (if you are currently working at a place where your profession exists, you can also include your company code of ethics). There are virtually no honest, above-board jobs without a code of ethics, so finding one to analyze will not be difficult.
The analysis can take one of these forms:
- A 4-5 minute video presentation uploaded into MyCourses.
- A presentation platform: PPT, Prezi, Glogster, Adobe Sparkstory, …
- Something different and creative (this one needs my approval first)
The assignment must include the following:
- Explain the principles in your personal code of ethics and why they are important.
- Provide a summary of 3-5 of the most important principles in your professional code. Note that the summary should not be a restatement of the principles—you should summarize and explain the principles. List here if including workplace code.
- Compare and contrast your personal code to your professional code (similarities, differences, strengths, weaknesses).
- Explain one serious ethical problem likely to be faced in your field, and how you might try to resolve it, or where you might go to help guide you with the best resolution.
- Discuss what you learned: about the profession (and possibly the workplace) with respect to the codes, identify the ethical level of your profession, when it was last revised, anything else you found interesting.
*Assignments must be uploaded by the due date posted on the MyCourses calendar. A drop box is in the Code of Ethics chapter folder. As always, you need to cite your sources including images taken from the Internet. J
Code of Ethics Analysis Scoring Rubric
|Score||3 pts.||2 pts.||1 pt.||0 pts.|
|Personal Code of Ethics||A creative explanation of your principles including a detailed discussion of why each principle is important.||A good explanation of your principles with some discussion about why each principle is important.||A superficial explanation of your principles with little discussion about why each principle is important.||Missing.|
|Professional Code of Ethics||An excellent summary of the principles including a detailed discussion of what each principle requires.||A good summary of the principles with some discussion of what each principle requires.||A superficial summary of the principles with little discussion of what the principles require; or simple reading of the principles.||Missing.|
|Analysis||A creative and detailed comparison between your personal and professional code of ethics.||A good comparison between your personal and professional code of ethics.||A superficial comparison between your personal and professional code of ethics.||Missing.|
|Ethical Problem in Field||Detailed discussion of an ethical problem and how it might be resolved.||Undetailed discussion of an ethical problem and brief information on how it might be resolved.||Undetailed discussion of a non-ethical problem and how it might be resolved.||Missing.|
|New Knowledge||Excellent discussion of new ideas or insights about the profession with respect to the code (ethical-level, last update, etc.).||Good discussion of new ideas or insights about the profession with respect to the code (ethical level &/or last update).||Superficial discussion of new ideas or insights about the profession with respect to the code.||Missing.|