Pick two of following essays prompts. In an essay of 1-2 double-spaced pages each, respond, in a Word document, to each prompt with a fully developed argument that uses evidence from the texts, lectures, and your personal observations. In addition, all responses should have a clear thesis statement, logical organization and transitions, and a simple conclusion.
Compare creation myths between the Sumerians/Babylonians and the Hebrews. What do the narratives convey about their cultural assumptions and worldview?
2. Compare or contrast gender roles in two of the works we have studied. How is each sphere characterized? In what ways does each dominate the other?
3. Everyone involved in the curse of the House of Atreus has got a motive for their actions. Whose actions in the Oresteia are most just? You may argue for Agamemnon?s actions prior to the Trojan War if you want.
4. Discuss the duality of Clytemnestra. She straddles the line between many opposing forces. Argue for or against the ways in which this makes her a strong or ideal character.
5. Define two to four qualities of a hero by examining two of the protagonists we have studied this semester. Consider such aspects as their personality traits, goals, or the nature of their conflicts.
6. Compare or contrast the journeys of Gilgamesh and Odysseus. Consider aspects such as the purpose of their journey, the types of their encounters, and the growth they experience as part of their journeys? completion.
7. Discuss a motif/image/or symbol that is central to one work or shared among two different works we have studied. Consider the significance of the motif, and what it represents in the work(s).