1. Discuss and define the idea of Romanization and its role in creating unity in the development of the Roman Empire.
2. Discuss how the role of emperor, senate, and army changed under Augustus as Imperialism evolved. Explain the duties of the emperor under the Imperial system.
1. Compare and contrast the Eastern and Western halves of the Roman Empire and examine the development of the unique Byzantine culture. Discuss this in terms of social, political and economic structures.
2. In what ways were the teachings of Islam similar to Christianity? How were they different?
1. What new technological innovations contributed to the medieval agricultural revolution? How did the agricultural revolution contribute to the development of manors and cities?
2. After the fall of the Roman Empire, new Germanic kingdoms arose and became known as Latin Christendom blending Latin and Germanic traditions. Discuss examples of these traditions and how they evolved during this time. What unified these new kingdoms?
1. The fall of Italy acted as a catalyst, causing historians and political theorists to approach these disciplines in new ways. Discuss the two main individuals in the text who are representative of the new Renaissance thinking.
2. Discuss the Hundred Years War: What were its causes? Why did the war continue for so long a period? What advantages did each side possess? What were the outcomes of the war for France and England?
1. Discuss the Columbian exchange. What was exchanged? What were the immediate consequences of the encounters between the Old and New Worlds?
2. Discuss the impact of exploration during the 15th and 16th century. What major changes did exploration expedite? Identify 3 examples of explorers and their achievements.
1. Absolutism was met with resistance in England. What groups resisted absolutism? How and why did they resist? What English traditions and political ideas prevented the adoption of absolutism?
2. What impact did the Price Revolution have on the governments and people of Europe?