For this discussion, you engage in a role-playing exercise. From the learning resources provided in this module, you should have substantial exposure to the mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in bacteria as well as how human activities contribute to selection of the genes responsible for resistance. Please utilize this knowledge in your responses to the scenario below.
After reading the assigned chapters, article and watching the video for this module please respond to the following:
You have recently been awarded a well-earned Ph.D. in Microbiology and are an esteemed expert in antibiotic resistance. You have been asked to focus your energy and discourse and explain antibiotic resistance to ONE of the following:
- The executives of National Cattlemen’s Beef Association.
- Parents of a 6-year old boy with Community Acquired-MRSA
- An immigrant from India with XDR-TB
- Nursing home facility sanitation staff
In your initial post, briefly explain what antibiotic resistance is, where it comes from, and why it is an issue. Then propose potential solutions and/or precautions. Be persuasive.
To complete this discussion, respond to other initial posts:
- As a Ph.D. with expertise in bacterial resistance, your objective is to reduce antibiotic resistance and educate your audience. Before you write, consider how your audience might respond. What questions might they have? How would you explain ways to counter antibiotic resistance in each case?
- The goal of this discussion forum is to develop a complete picture of how each of these scenarios is unique and would require a unique approach as you confer with your classmates.