For this assignment you work in a group (1 to 3 people per group).
Read the following articles and answer the question1 to 2 based on this article.
The Cheskin Research and Studio Archetype/Sapient. eCommerce Trust Study, 1999 (available on the D2L: you do not have to read all. Read from page 8 to page 14).
The study lists six fundamental forms that communicate trustworthiness of an Internet store.
- List the six fundamental forms. (5 Points).
- Explain what fulfillment means and what the five components of fulfillment are according to the eCommerce Trust Study above (5 Points).
- According to the article, if your product is lesser known brand, how can you build trust? (5 Points)
- Visit JCPenney.com (http://www.jcpenney.com/) and tigerdirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/). Assess JCPenney.com regarding each of the five components of the fulfillment as stronger, similar, or weaker level when compared to tigerdirect.com. Your mark will be based on your justification and evidence you provide. No mark will be given if no evidence is provided. Use a table format (e.g. the examples of columns include a component, your assessment of JCPenney.com in comparison to tigerdirect.com, and reasons and evidence of your assessment) to answer these questions (Within a table, you many use single line spacing). (25 Points)
Visit Google Analytics Academy ( https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/explorer ). Then visit a course titled (Ecommerce Analytics: From Data to Decisions). Visit Unit 2 (Understanding Customers) and click 2.1 Traffic source analysis ( https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course03/unit?unit=2&lesson=1 ). Scroll down and click start demo button (under the Step 2: Click through the demo).
- In the example report, what are the top two sources/ mediums in terms of total revenue? (5 Points)
- What is the ecommerce conversion rate of Googe/CPC in the example report? (5 Points)
Visit Google Analytics Academy ( https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/explorer ). Then visit a course titled (Ecommerce Analytics: From Data to Decisions). Visit Unit 3 (Understanding Shopping Behavior) and click 3.4 Checkout analysis (https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course03/unit?unit=3&lesson=4 ). Scroll down and click start demo button (under the Step 2: Click through the demo).
- Over 31 Points of people abandoned their shopping cart at the account sign-in stage. What can be a potential fix (or solution) for this problem according to the video? (5 Points)
- Over 62 Points of people abandoned their shopping cart at the payment information stage. In the further analysis, mobile device customers showed much higher abandonment rate. What would be the potential problem considering these facts, according to the video? (5 Points)
- Assess checkout process of http://www.jcpenney.com/ according to the following table (compare the processes for each practice as yes (it follows the good design practice), no, or somewhat with explanation) and provide some suggestions to reduce shopping-cart-abandonment phenomena in jcpenney.com (80 points) (lecture slide 5-4 Assessment List for Checkout Process show the checkout process in JCPenney)
(Source: This list is based on E-COMMERCE USABILITY: CHECKOUT by Baymard Institute.)
|Why people abandon a shopping cart during checkout||Good design practices||Your Assessment|
|1. Extra cost too high (shipping, tax, fees): 61%
I couldn’t see / calculate total order cost up-front: 24%
|(a) Provide all the information before people enter the checkout process: Provide calculation button for total price at the product description pages (e.g., Yahoo Shopping)|
|2. The site wanted me to create an account: 35%||(a) Provide Guest Checkout so that people do not have to create an account to checkout
(b) Make Guest Checkout prominent
|3. Too long/ Complicated Checkout Process: 27%||(a) Show progress indicators on every checkout page so that people know the progress
(b) Make it clear whether it is required field or optional field
(c) Explain why you need such sensitive information for order processing if the information seems to be sensitive (e.g., SIN number, passport number, phone number, birth date, gender, email id, etc.)
(d) Save customers’ effort (e.g., Show shipping date rather than duration)
(e) Save customers’ effort (set default value for the most popular selection)
(f) Save customers’ effort (Under shipping method selection, show shipping cost up-front for each shipping option (do not hide the cost))
(g) Make the Place Order button prominent and include explanations such that order is not submitted yet until the Place Order button is clicked
|4. I didn’t trust the site with my credit card information: 18%
There weren’t enough payment methods: 8%:
|(a) Provide non-credit-card- payment methods (e.g., Paypal)
(b) Visually emphasize the credit card section to show a company’s attention for credit card security (e.g. using shading background, credit card images, seal of approval, lock symbol)
(c) Specific description of input field (In the credit card input screen, “Name on the card” is ambiguous à Provide explanations on the input field such as “the Cardholder Name is to be typed Exactly as It’s printed on the credit card”
- The paper should not be longer than five (5) pages (excluding a cover page and references). No introduction is required. Start with a question number and then write your answers.
- All written work should be of professional quality. Your answer will be evaluated based on soundness of your justifications and supporting references. Your arguments should be logical and you should provide sources of evidence in the argument. If you cannot communicate clearly, the quality of your ideas will not be apparent. Written work should be designed for ease of reading.
- Choose clear fonts in a suitable size, for example – Times New Roman at 12 pt (nothing smaller, please!). Use 1.5 line spacing, with at least 2.5 cm margins at the left, right, top and bottom of the page. (One exception is when you use a table. If you use a table for comparison, you may use 10 pt font and single spacing within a table). Any work that exceeds the specified maximum size will be ignored. Modern word processing software includes tools such as spelling and grammar checkers that can help ensure the quality of your work. Up to 10 Points of the maximum mark for any assignment may be deducted for errors in spelling and/or grammar.
- Make sure that the paper is written by your own words and that all the references used
need to be explicitly described in the body and at the end of the paper.
Example of citation: (Use the reference format below. APA format is also acceptable)
< In the body of the paper>
The Bootstrapping approach was applied to estimate the significance of the path (Chin
2000; Cook and Luo 2003; Cooper et al. 1995).
<Reference at the end of the paper>
Chin, W. W. “Frequently Asked Questions – Partial Least Squares & PLS-Graph,” 2000.
http://disc-nt.cba.uh.edu/chin/plsfaq.htm, accessed on September 16, 2003.
Cook, D. P. and Luo, W. “The Role of Third-Party Seals in Building Trust Online,” e-
Service Journal, (2:3), 2003, pp. 71-84.
Cooper, D. R., Gefen, D. and Emory, C. W. Business Research Methods, 5th ed., IRWIN,
(This assignment is worth 4 Percent of your total mark.)