Stovall (2015) writes:
Writers must understand that language has the ability to define, offend, and demean. Readers and viewers of the mass media are a broad and diverse group, and those who would communicate with them should be aware of the language sensitivities of that group…Media writers and organizations should go beyond simply trying not to offend. They should make efforts to expand their thinking and news coverage to be inclusive toward groups that previously have not been part of the news…They should seek diversity for their work because the world is a diverse place.
Taking these ideas into consideration, visit theConscious Style Guide and scan through the articles. Choose one area of diversity on which to focus.
Ability & Disability
- Ethnicity & Nationality
- Gender & Sexuality
After reading through the articles listed under your chosen area of diversity, write a paper that explores the importance of language sensitivity in journalism. Support your ideas with a personal experience, an event you witnessed, a current issue being discussed in the news, or how language sensitivity (or a lack thereof) may impact an individual or group of individuals.
The paper must be between four and five pages in length and written according to AP style. You should use sources to support your claims, and be sure to properly cite all of your sources within the body of your paper and on the References page. For APA style guidance and examples, visit Ashford Writing Center’sAPA Key Elements.
For this Style and Language Sensitivity Assignment, students must
- Identify one area of diversity on which to focus.
- Explain language sensitivity.
- Relate an area of diversity to a personal experience, current news story or impacted group of individuals.
- Assess the importance of language sensitivity in news media.
The Style and Language Sensitivity Assignment
- Must be four to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in theAPA Checklist.
- Must include a separatetitle page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least 1credible source in addition to the course text.
- Must document all sources in text in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’sin-text citation resource.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’sreference page resource.
- Check it! Your assignment must be submitted throughGrammarly and Turnitin prior to submission.
Carefully review theGrading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.