The Black Balloon
The main assignment for HLTH2105 revolves around a character from the movie the black balloon. Overall, this essay is an ANALYSIS of a CASE selected for your assignment—the case (Maggie) is provided by your tutors. The questions provided in the tutorial will guide your exploration of the case study. The focus of this assignment is the Case, with your analysis of that case supported by academic literature.
Before you watch The Black Balloon, you will be assigned to focus your attention on the character(Maggie). This will make it easier to write about the film after you have watched it. Read through the questions below (1. The Family Dynamic) relating to your chosen character before watching the film.
The Black Balloon – Full Movie
c. Being Maggie
Maggie is in the final stages of pregnancy and has developed pre-eclampsia, a condition that can
develop in late pregnancy, characterized by high blood pressure and other symptoms.
It can put both the safety of the mother and baby at risk and requires rest and care.
oHow would you describe Maggie’s personality?
oHow is her love for her sons expressed in the film?
oHow would you describe her marriage to Simon?
oWhat particular demands might caring for an 18-year old disabled son place on her time and
oIs she able to successfully juggle the demands of her family with her own needs for time and rest?
oWhat slightly unusual significance does ‘bath time’ have in this family?
aminimum of five (5) peer reviewed research articles. They should be published from 2000-2011, but you may find a ‘classic’ article that is relevant and was published earlier. You will need to justify its inclusion. These articles may include, but are not limited to:
– articles that have considered the health issue in relation to the particular stage in the lifespan (e.g. infancy, adolescence, adulthood, etc.)
– articles that focus on the particular health condition—Autism
– articles that focus on the particular stage in the lifespan (e.g. infancy, adolescence, adulthood, etc)
– you may discover that you cannot find articles that cover BOTH the health condition AND the stage in the lifespan in the same article, but you need to have academic, peer reviewed, relevant articles for the stage in the lifespan AND the health condition.
• material from at least one authoritative Australian website (e.g. Australian Bureau of Statistics, or Australian Institute of Health and Welfare) to provide Australian research, statistics and context to support your writing. If you are an international student you may focus on the research and statistics from your home country if you prefer, but it has to be referenced adequately.
• appropriate chapters from lifespan development texts and health psychology texts should be used to describe and discuss the case in relation to the theoretical perspectives and/or the wider research agenda .
You will need to apply the research and literature to the character, e.g. Maggie. The character will be assigned to you for this assignment. Your essay should answer the following questions:
• Discuss the psychosocial developmental aspects of your case—this is the lifespan stage (i.e. infancy, adolescence, adulthood, etc). What are the relevant developmental issues involved in your case? Consider the cognitive, psychological, social, emotional, and physical implications in your case.
• Ideally, you will be able to discuss the combined issue of the health issue AND the developmental issues. (for example, if the case concerns Charlie, then the aspect of autism on his development and care, and his life stage according to his psychological developmental stage you should find literature that addresses both: autism AND his level of development, for Maggie, the aspects of stress, pre-eclampsia, having an Autistic child and her life stage).
– What do the articles say about the relationship between the health issue and stage in the lifespan/human development?
– How typical or common is this health issue at the stage of life? Or is it not common?
• How well does the literature/theory help you understand the person’s situation and responses? That is, how well do the generalisations in the literature help you to understand this person’s situation and responses?
– Are there any controversies in the literature?
– Are there any limitations in the studies you have found?
– Are there any differences between what the literature says and the situation provided in your case?
To prepare for your essay, you should consider the following when reading/reviewing research articles. You will need to link the case study, e.g. Charlie to the appropriate psychosocial stage of human development and explore the way in which other models or theories explain Charlie’s behaviour. Note: we have provided you with this information to help you prepare. Your essay is NOT an annotated bibliography, but if you consider the below points when you review your articles, it will help you to understand the issue and what you need to consider in your essay.
• Full bibliography: ensure you have the full information to reference the article: authors, article title, journal title, volume, date, page numbers. See Harvard guidelines.
• Research articles should be peer reviewed and not letters or opinions or from magazines or websites. Ensure that your references are academic in nature. You should use databases via the Flinders University Library, for example, Ovid or Ebsco or ScienceDirect. You can sometimes search for Full Text articles and sometimes you can search for ‘peer reviewed’. If you are uncertain, please use the services provided by the library to help you find appropriate articles or discuss with your tutor or the topic coordinator.
Essays need to be typed, font 12, double spaced, with 2.5-3.2 cm margins.
Either double space between paragraphs or indent the first line of each paragraph.
Number all pages of your assignment and include your name or your student ID number on each page.
The word count starts at the title and ends before the reference list. The word count includes everything in-between. Remember that there are no penalties for word counts + or – 10%. When writing your essay, consider whether your essay meets the criteria rather than excessively focusing on the word count.
References and in-text referencing are required to be in Harvard referencing format, as described in the School of Nursing & Midwifery referencing guide. The guide is available as a PDF file from:
. include discussion of topics as they relate to healthpsychology as well as clearly linking the discussion back to specific points in the DVDrelating to your character.
• include at least one psychological or concept thatrelates to understanding your character (e.g., stress and coping theories, healthbehaviour change, Hendry and Kloep’s theory, social determinants of health, theories ofloss, etc.)
• include implications for practice for you as a health professional.Revisit the questions from the tutorial activity relating to your character. These may help youto think about what to write about your character. Also, below is a list of questions and keyideas that can guide the discussion in your essay. You should choose between 3-5 of theseitems to help you with your discussion:
•What examples of the health care system are presented in the DVD and what do theyindicate about how the health care system functions? (consider health care priorities,policy and practice)
•Discuss of the social model of health and illness and its relevance
•Describe psychological and social influences that contribute to how people stay healthy,become ill and respond to illness in the DVD
•Consider any issues relating to treatment adherence and identify factors that enhance orinhibit adherence to treatment.
•Consider psychological or social issues related to food or nutrition
•How does loss affect your character? What theory of loss is most relevant to the
character you are discussing?
•What examples of coping are demonstrated in the DVD? Ensure you link your discussionto theory from academic sources.
•What relationships/ social networks are demonstrated in the DVD? Link your discussion ofthe importance and diversity of relationships and social networks to academic sources.
What cultural aspects can you identify in the DVD that influence your character?
•Identify the approximate age of your character and how age might influence how yourcharacter behaves, thinks and feels. Link this to academic sources.
•Discuss the gender dynamics that influence your character.
•Consider social and economic status and the relevance for understanding your character.
•Identify positive coping strategies or elements of resilience that relate to your character.