Select one president from the table and their Doctrine, Then write a 3 page paper on the doctrine that president used.
The Table (President):
Truman 1945-1953 Contain the expansion of communism, presumably everywhere.
Eisenhower 1953-1961 Use nukes and spooks to prevent Communist or other radical takeovers.
Kennedy 1961-1963 Respond flexibly to communist expansion, especially to guerrilla warfare.
Johnson 1963-1969 Follow through on Kennedy doctrine by committing U.S. troops in Vietnam.
Nixon 1969-1974 Supply weapons but not troops to countries fighting off communism.
Ford 1974-1977 Continue Nixon Doctrine
Carter 1977-1981 Make clear to Soviets that Persian Gulf is a vital U.S. interest.
Reagan 1981-1989 Sponsor anticommunist guerrillas who are trying to overthrow pro-Soviet
Your essay should include (4) major sections: the Title Page, Abstract, Main Body, and References.
Your paper must address the following:
- Summarize a situation that required U.S. diplomatic efforts during the president’s time in office.
- Explicate the diplomatic doctrine the president followed, with reference to specific actions or events that occurred.
- Describe the effects of these diplomatic efforts for the U.S. and other countries.
- Assess, in conclusion, the advantages and disadvantages of the particular doctrine that was followed.
- Cite at least four (4) reputable sources in addition to the textbook, not including Wikipedia, encyclopedias, or dictionaries.
Textbook for this course: Roskin, M., & Berry, N. (2010). IR: The new world of international relations: 2010 edition (8th ed.). San Francisco, CA: Longman/Pearson Education.