Please read the case study on next page and answer the following questions:
- What exactly, if anything, did Mendenhall do wrong?
- What values are in conflict here? Why might we want to defend Mendenhall’s right to tweet?
- Do sports figures have special obligations to the public concerning how they speak or talk about certain issues? Why? Would you apply these same standards to a prominent politician?
- If Mendenhall was an unemployed or unsigned football player, would your review of his obligations while speaking change? How? What if he was unendorsed (by companies such as Champion) and not affiliated with any team at the time of the tweets?
- Should sports journalists cover Mendenhall’s tweets and the subsequent controversy? Why or why not?
The Case Study