Write a 500-750 word essay using argument as the chief method of development. Choose one of the following topics:
- Immigration policy
- The drinking age
- Legalizing medical OR recreational marijuana (one or the other)
- Right to health care
- Corporate tax rate
The provided link for each topic provides an overview of the debate. Take a side in that debate. DO NOT use the provided link or other non-scholarly sources as a cited source in your final paper.
If you would like to write about a different topic, send me a message describing this other topic. I must approve the topic before you write about it because some topics might not be good for this type of essay.
Use THREE academic research sources to support your argument
- The body of the essay is 500-750 words. The word count includes those words from the first word of the introduction paragraph to the last word of the conclusion paragraph (not the heading or outline words). Choose a topic that can be discussed in depth and detail within this requirement. This is a test of your ability to narrow or broaden a topic appropriately for the purpose!
- Include an outline as the last page of the essay. This is different than MLA style, which requires the outline to be the first page of the essay, but putting the outline last makes page numbering easier because you do not need to switch between i, ii, iii… numbering and can use only 1, 2, 3… numbering. The first page should be page 1 and the outline should be the last page number.
- THREE (3) academic research sources are REQUIRED. Use MLA Style for in-text citations to cite sources inside the essay and use MLA Style for the list of works cited to cite sources on the works cited page. Refer to the MLA Style resources for additional examples and explanations.
- Use MLA Style to format the essay. Specifically, remember to include a heading on the first page, a header with your last name and page number on each page, and double spacing. See the MLA Style Resources for an example essay formatted according to MLA Style!
- Submit the completed essay by the due date using the link provided beneath this assignment description. (The due date is on the Syllabus.)
- Five points are deducted for each day late.
- The essay must be submitted in MS Word (.doc) or Rich Text Format (.rtf). See the instructions in the Syllabus and an announcement early in the course for instructions on how to save in Rich Text Format if you do not use MS Word.